THE Academy during the COVID-19 LOCKDOWN
There’s no time like the present to build your coffee skills.
We have looked at best practices across mulltiple industries and we have determined that with some special steps we can welcome you into the academy for some selected courses. We have also adjusted these to fewer students in order to best ensure safety while still allowing the school to operate
Raising the Barista
Over more than 15 years, we have trained over 3,000 professional baristas who now pour coffee across South Africa and beyond. Our fully equipped Barista Academy offers a range of courses throughout the year.
Booking a Course
All currently planned courses are on Quicket. Click below to book..
During COVID Lockdown we are more flexible with dates and can look at customized dates for you. For more information regarding any of our courses contact us at 087 094 1178 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Improve your barista skills and knowledge by joining our wholesale customer training. Pour and brew coffee at a professional level with our 3-day in-depth coffee theory and hands-on brewing experience.
- – Coffee theory and history
- – Equipment introduction — grinder, espresso machine, brewing equipment
- – Grinder calibration and maintenance
- – Hands-on espresso extraction
- – Understanding espresso — grinding, tamping, dosing, pouring, drinks
- – Perfect espresso pour and drink recipes
- – Milk Preparation — steaming, pouring and basic latte art
- – Tools to diagnose and solve their own problems
- The course includes a delicious meal on all 3 days of the course, a complimentary cup of coffee on arrival, a notebook and pen, take-home barista guide and 10% off all purchases* on the day of the course.
- Maximum 4 students (for social distancing and maximum safety)
R4,500 / 3 days
Refresh your barista skills. The course is shaped to suit each student’s needs, our barista trainer spends time focusing on a personalised, student specific class dynamic.
- Personalised course content
- Practical skill improvement
- Each student works on their own espresso machine
The course includes a complimentary cup of coffee on arrival, a notebook and pen, take-home barista guide and 10% off all purchases* on the day of the course.
Maximum 2 students per class
R3,000 / 1 day
* Classes are available Tuesday to Saturday (depending on availability)
During current COVID-19 lockdown period these are offered on request. Please contact us.
Develop your espresso skills in our Home Barista course. A practical introductory course full of hands-on experience and demonstrations for home baristas. Improve both your coffee knowledge and espresso-based drink preparation skills. Learn how to get the best out of your home espresso machine.
- Coffee history and theory
- Equipment introduction — grinder, espresso machine, brewing equipment
- Grinder calibration
- Understanding espresso — grinding, tamping, dosing, pouring, drinks
- Hands-on espresso extraction
- Basic milk preparation — steaming and texturing
The course includes a complimentary cup of coffee on arrival, take-home barista guide and 10% off all purchases on the day of the course (minimum spend R350)
Maximum 4 people per course
R1,250 / 4 hours
Learn how to make good coffee at home without an espresso machine. This practical course is full of hands-on brewing experience and demonstrations for coffee enthusiasts. Brewing is the final step in your coffees journey. We teach hands-on step by step brewing for each of the 5 methods that will help you brew coffee to perfection at home.
- Coffee theory and history
- Equipment introduction
- Alternative brewing — French Press, Aeropress, Hario V60 Pourover, Mokapot and Siphon
- Brewing basics
- Hands-on alternative brewing
The course includes a complimentary cup of coffee on arrival and 10% off all purchases on the day of the course (minimum purchase R350).
Maximum 4 students (for social distancing and maximum safety)
R850 / 3 hours
Learn how to pour the perfect pattern to finish the ultimate espresso experience. A step by step guide, through the fundamentals of creating a solid base for any type of latte art pattern.
- The art of steaming/texturing milk for different drinks
- Free pouring
- Latte art basics — the heart, the rosetta and the tulip
The course includes a complimentary cup of coffee on arrival, take-home barista guide and 10% off all purchases* on the day of the course.
Maximum 4 people per course.
R850 / 3 hours
We have reduced the class sizes to allow for efficient social distancing and increased attention from the instructor. For more information on our COVID-19 safety measures please follow this link.
This is the practice of observing the tastes and aromas of brewed coffee. Our Head Roasters create an exceptional experience for each Cupping Session. From the coffees tasted to the session’s focus each Cupping is a unique experience.
- – Taste our current range of coffees
- – Learn to taste coffee like the professionals
- – Explore and understand different origins and characteristics of coffee
Enjoy 10% off all purchases on the day of the course (minimum purchase R350).
R150 / 1 hour
We are currently running these once a month. Bookings are via Quicket. Due to the practicality of running these in a COVID-sensitive manner, we can only accommodate 4 people at a time.
* The minimum spend is R350 in order to qualify for the discount.